Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Strangers

It's been a while since mom and I have been to a scary movie. This weekend we decided to check out The Strangers. Inspired by true events, it seemed this might be one that was actually scary.

"On the night of February 11, 2005, Kristen McKay and James Hoyt left a friends wedding reception and returned to the Hoyt family summer home.

The brutal events that took place there have never been revealed."
This is stated at the very beginning of what turns into an hour and a half of nail biting, edge of your seat suspense.

"The Strangers" claims to be inspired by a true story - According to Wiki, with whatever veracity you choose to accord it:

"The movie is inspired by an event from the director's, Bryan Bertino, childhood, among other things. A stranger came to his home asking for someone. Later, he found out that empty homes in the neighborhood had been burglarized. With that memory in mind, Bertino created this, his debut screenplay. The screenplay is also inspired by the events of the Charles Manson murders."
The rest is probably fiction. But oh, what fiction! For what it is - a movie about suspense, dread, and helplessness - "The Strangers" is very well done; however, after an hour of watching these 'strangers' mess with this couples minds it got a little old.

Was it Scary? I don't know that scary is the word I would use to describe this one - Disturbing, yes. Scary, not really. However, I can definitely see how some would find it scary.


All in all, mom and I thought it was pretty good.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I want to see this one.....I might just have to join you and your mom one day....We'll call that post, "Movies with Mom and Amy".....You can review the movie...I'll inform people of the conditions of the restrooms.:)

I can't wait to tell you about some of the European bathroom incidents....it would definitely have been "scary" to you.:)

Saturday (God willing) we are going to take the boys to see "The Happening." I don't know if you know this or not, but my boyfriend, Mark Wahlberg, stars in it.:)

God Bless,
Amy:)